About Me

My photo
Canna, Highland, United Kingdom
This blog has been set up to keep people who are interested in wild bird ringing informed about my ringing activities both locally and further afield.

Sunday 12 February 2012

Lotsa Linnets and a REEBU control

Another session for the Suffolk Foraging Farmland Bird Project this morning.

I tried a different wild bird seed strip at Dairy Farm to those I've ringed at before. I started putting nets up at 7.30am, and had a couple done when a huge flock of Linnets (550+) came in from Upper Gravel Pit. Lovely though big numbers of birds are, I was ringing on my own, and didn't want to catch more than I could deal with, so quickly took down a net to leave it with just one 18m Ecotone. This was a good move, so it turned out, as the rain moved in half an hour later, with lots of birds threatening to find the net. I decided to call it a day, and to try another time with a better weather forecast. Still, I got a few interesting birds in the time I had the net open:



New (Retrap)

Dunnock 1
Blackbird 1
Blue Tit 1 (1) - this retrap was originally ringed in my garden, 2km away
Chaffinch 5
Greenfinch 1
Linnet 10



By lunch back at home, the sun had come out, so I decided to give it a couple of hours on the Wyken Hall estate up at The Dales again. The hedge between the wild bird seed strips has been cut since I was last there, and the estate had a hare shoot there yesterday, so bird numbers are down a bit, but it was still a worthwhile session:

Chaffinch 3
Reed Bunting 4 (3)

Of the 3 already-ringed Reed Buntings, 2 were retraps from this same ringing site, but the other was a Control Y113822. Could this be 'your' REEBU?

No comments:

Post a Comment